Monday, January 4, 2010

Honor It

Respect! Nothing more and nothing less; or should I say that's what I believe the word honor boils down to. Respect is a two-way street and in the world we live in, people are quick to take someone's life because they feel the person has "dis-respected" them. There is self-respect, respect for others, but it seems we have missed the most important dynamic of respect; respect for the Word of God. In his book "how to study the bible", John MacArthur listed "Honor It" as the second application in bible study. It seems to me the words can be used interchangeably, but respect holds more weight in my opinion.

The word honor is used throughout the Bible: honor your mother and father so your days may be long in the land which your Father gives you; numerous times throughout the wisdom book of Proverbs; even Jesus said a prophet is not without honor except for his own country. One of my favorite scriptures is from Isaiah 29:13 and it reads:The Lord says "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips,but their hearts are far from me." God is not impressed with our lipservice to Him. As believers we should honor the Word of God if for no other reason than He is God. Once we begin to put things in perspective and begin to read and study the Bible for ourselves, we will honor the Word of God as the highest truth for our lives. There is something to be said about kingdom language that I have fallen in love with over the years. It sounds corny, but I really do stand in the mirror and encourage myself with what the Word of God says about me or the situation I am facing. There is no doubt in my mind that what is written is forever settled in Heaven. If you believe what is written, I encourage you to honor it with your time by studying to show yourself approved so you can rightly divide the Word of truth for yourself.

Exodus 20:12
Psalm 119:89
Isaiah 29:13
Matthew 13:57
2 Timothy 2:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

I pray that as you read "Th Onyx Chronicles", you will be blessed richly as you love Him more deeply, and become more rooted in His truths. God Bless You!